Brentwood restaurateurs James and Jenny Ren Share a Favorite Dish
“They say if you want a divorce,” Brentwood restaurateur James Ren says with a grin—he sits next to Jenny, his wife of 31 one years—“then open a restaurant. Well, we’ve opened four, and we’re still together!”
While many ingredients go into the recipe for a successful marriage, one of the most important is sharing delicious meals. That’s why, for James and Jenny, the go-to dish that symbolizes their life together is Happy Family.
“It’s kind of a combination of everything,” Jenny says. “A combination of meats. A combination of vegetables. It shows togetherness. It brings people around the table to share the food and the joy.”
For James and Jenny, the Happy Family meals sure seem to be working. Not only have they been married for more than three decades, but they also have two grown children, both of whom attended Brentwood public schools and graduated from Ravenwood High.
“We have watched Brentwood become a big city,” Jenny observes, noting that this year will mark the couple’s 25th anniversary in the restaurant business in Brentwood, starting with Miyako and now featuring Corner Asian Bistro.
“It is very fitting to be featured in Brentwood Lifestyle,” James says. “We started our business here. Our kids went to school here. We are local business people. We live a Brentwood life! We love it here. And sharing Happy Family helps! In a way, we eat it every day!”
- 6 shrimp
- 14 ounces combined flank steak, pork, chicken and scallops
- Snow peas
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cooking wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Stir-fry shrimp, flank steak, pork and chicken and put them in a bowl.
- Stir-fry vegetables and put them in the same bowl.
- Put chicken broth, soy sauce, cooking wine, oyster sauce, sugar and starch in a wok; stir and let boil until dark brown.
- Add cooked shrimp, scallop and meats. Stir and mingle all the shrimp, scallop and meats well and serve.