Picture this: rolling hills blanketed in beautiful white snow, the sun glistening off of each tiny snowflake as it falls. While that might not happen here in Middle Tennessee, a white Christmas is within reach. We’ll tell you where – near and far – you can go and enjoy all a White Christmas has to offer.
ICE! at Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville
Gaylord Opryland comes to life with more than six million twinkling lights, more than 100,000 feet of garland and over 8 million pounds of ice for its signature attraction, ICE!
Open through January 1, the hotel hosts larger-than- life Christmas celebrations with towering trees, gingerbread decorating, photos with Santa, scavenger hunts, holiday shows and character breakfasts, to name a few. Families are sure to enjoy this year’s theme of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. New this year is an exclusive Build-A- Bear Workshop experience that lets guests make their very own polar bear plush that can be personalized with cozy winter clothing and accessories.
Other Gaylord Opryland attractions include snow tubing, ice skating, cookies with Mrs. Claus, holiday fountain and light shows, an outdoor nativity, carriage rides, Dr Suess’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas The Musical, and Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers Christmas Dinner Show.
Like the idea of ICE! but want to get out of town with the family? Enjoy ICE! at three additional Marriott properties, each with their own holiday theme:
- Christmas Around the World at Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, Maryland – just outside Washington, D.C.
- Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town at Gaylord Texan Resort in Grapevine, Texas.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas at Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissimmee, Fla.
Visit Marriott.com for more information.
Winter B&B at Eatons’ Ranch in Wyoming
Situated at the base of the Bighorn Mountains, Eatons’ Ranch is a hidden gem out west. A working dude ranch in the summer, the Winter Bed & Breakfast offers a more relaxing and romantic atmosphere for couples looking to get away. Stay in a cabin or the big house – a stone house restored with guest suites, each with their own private bathroom. With an average snowfall of 70 inches, guests can spend their time learning about this wonderful ranch, snowshoeing across beautiful pastures, cross country skiing on a groomed course, hiking in the Bighorns or relaxing by the fire enjoying the view and a glass of wine. Whatever you prefer, Eatons’ will provide some much needed rest, relaxation, and some fresh mountain air. The Winter B&B is open December 2, 2016 – May 14, 2017 with rates ranging from $150 to $200 for two people.
Visit EatonsRanch.com for more information.
Sugar Mountain in North Carolina
If the mountains are calling, but out West is too far away, a five-hour drive East will land you at Sugar Mountain. Here you can enjoy skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, sledding, ice skating, relaxing by the fire, shopping and a fun time for all. SugarFEST 2016 runs December 18-20 and includes traditional North Carolina bluegrass music, fireworks, a ski clinic featuring Olympian Diann Roffe, appearances by Sweetie and Sugar Bear, and lodging specials. Olympic Figure Skating Silver Medalist Paul Wylie will dazzle with an amazing ice show followed by a meet and greet, and a chance to hold a real, Olympic medal.
Visit SkiSugar.com for more information.
The Village of Baytowne Wharf in Florida
If your vision of a White Christmas includes sand instead of snow, look no further than The Village of Baytowne Wharf. There are countless condos and rental properties to fit everyone’s tastes. Events include:
- Baytowne On Ice: Through February 10, 2017, get in the winter spirit at a seasonal ice skating rink, providing the perfect opportunity to share some of your favorite holiday traditions.
- 12 Nights of Lights: From December 2-30, enjoy a festive light show every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday leading up to Christmas. Watch three dazzling shows on the Village tree at 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. in the Events Plaza.
- Holiday Concert Series: Every Wednesday in December, get in the winter spirit and listen to some of your favorite holiday classics.
- Tuba Christmas and Holiday Lantern Parade: More than 30 brass instruments play holiday tunes, followed by the 7th Annual Holiday Lantern Parade at 6 p.m. This community event features commissioned paper lanterns in the shapes of iconic symbols of the holiday season. Don’t forget to stop by and see Santa in the Village Events Plaza!
Visit BayTowneWharf.com for more information.